background

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Tooth Pillow

My six year old boy finally has his first loose tooth!  He found out because his new friend wanted to play, "a weird game called dentist."  But that is another story.  Since I usually make girly things that he's not interested in, he's been asking me to make something for him.  He wants a race car.  I told him I can't sew a race car.  So, I'm hoping he'll be happy with a little monster tooth pillow.

Supplies:
Fuzzy or furry fabric for the body.  Fleece will work.
White felt for eye and tooth
Black felt for the center of the eye
White, black, and blue thread (or whatever color your body is)
Contrasting fabric for horns
Stuffing
If you want to do things right, you should use some interfacing, but I generally just use what I have for these kinds of things.  I do not usually have interfacing.  My son will not know the difference.

If I had some forethought, I would have made a template that I could have printed off, but I usually do things off the cuff.  Here are the pieces:
1 white oval eye
1 white triangle tooth
1 black pupil
4 horns (alternate between orientation)
4 feet
2 large oblongs shapes for body


First sew the pupil to the eye and finish the top edge of the tooth.


Pin the eye and tooth to the front body piece and sew together, leave a pocket at the top of the tooth.  Then sew a line for the rest of the mouth.


Sew the horns and feet together, right sides together, leaving the end that will not show open.  Cut excess from the tip of the horn.  Turn right side out and stuff.  Pin with the open edges lined up with the raw edge of the face.

Pin the front piece with the back piece, right sides together, with the horns and feet inside.  Sew together, leave a hole on the side to turn right side out.

Stuff him and sew up the hole in the side. Place a tooth in the tooth pocket, and the Tooth Fairy will replace it with some cash!




3 comments:

  1. Amber did you just come up with this or did you see this somewhere else? This is adorable and saves a body from having to reach under a pillow and disturbing a sleeping child. You are so smart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not come up with this on my own. I rarely have an original idea. But thanks for thinking I'd be that smart. I saw them on etsy. You can buy and sell crafts there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. Seeing the tooth pillow makes me think of the movie Monsters Inc. Sure to be a hit!

    ReplyDelete