background

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Homemade Puppet Theater

 Aren't boxes fun toys??  I remember making a whole house out of  dishwasher and refrigerator boxes one time when I was a kid.  It was complete with drapes for the windows and shelves with decorations on them.  Ah, memories!  Well, I mentioned we have moved a couple of times in the last year, and boy to we have boxes!  We had a moving company pack us up for the trip eastward, and they used some really cool wardrobe boxes for our hanging clothes.  They're big ol things and they are really sturdy, so I decided we needed to make something cool with one.  A puppet Theater!!! This is what I started with.



 Then I turned it upside down and used the flap for the door in the back, cutting off the extra piece that wraps around to the top.

Then, I cut a hole in the front of the box, leaving  a couple of inches around the top and sides and keeping the bottom attached.  I scored where the flap attaches and a line a few inches above so I could fold them to create the stage.

To keep it in place, I just used moving tape.  I'm sure someone else could have come up with an idea that would look more appealing, but this works.

The next step was to place the background.  I used some scraps from one of my fabric boxes and just used liquid stitch to finish the edges.  I used a glue gun to put it in place. After that, it seemed like a fun idea to give it a gold trim to make if fancy.

A little curtain made the same way as the background,  some black chalkboard paint, and viola!  We have a puppet theater.  The kids and their friends all have so much fun with this! 


No comments:

Post a Comment