background

Friday, October 14, 2011

FHE Chart



I made a family home evening chart years ago with cute little paper flowers and flower pots.  The pots had our names, and the flowers had the job we had for that night.  It worked, and even though I only had one baby at the time, I made it so we could at another pot.  The chart became obsolete when we had baby number three, and even after almost three years, I hadn't made a new one.  The kids started fighting over who was the "ductor", and since family night is not about fighting, we figured it was time for a new chart.  I had a few ideas in mind when I went shopping for supplies, but then I saw this:


  
and I changed all my plans.  I wanted pegs, but couldn't find any (serves me right for shopping for crafts at Wal-Mart).  So, I found some cute mini clothes pins to use to hold the names in place.  I kind of like them better anyway.   

Supplies:  Wooden Background    
                Stars (or other shape) for the names
                Modge podge                 
                Paper for backgrounds (I used 10, 1 for the stars, and 9 for the squares)
                Tole Paint and finish              
                Stamps or sticker letters (unless you have really good handwriting)
                Mini Clothes Pins or pegs
                Embellishments
                Glue Gun




First, sand the wood if it needs it.  Paint and finish the background  I ended up painting the inside as well because you can see it ever so slightly between the tiles.



Then, I cut the papers to size attached the embellishments to the papers and modge podged the papers to the tiles.  Once dry, I used a glue gun to attach the mini clothes pins to the squares and the hinge on the bottom left and middle squares.


After everything was glued and dry, I glued the squares in to place.  Then I took one of my papers, cut it to the size of the stars, stamped our names on and modge podged those on to the wood stars.



 I thought it would be fun to make the hinge function so, surprise, there's a hidden door!  It's kind of hard to see in this photo,  but it says "Family Forever" on the inside.  My little girl especially likes this little door.


If you have a question about what Family Home Evening is click here.  It has a short explanation, as well as links for ideas and activities.  I also saw this turned in to a cute message board.  I just love how you can do anything with a little paper and glue!

2 comments:

  1. Amber you have made some really cool stuff! I am not crafty in the least. All of your stuff looks amazing to me. You have an awesome talent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I am sooo impressed. Can't wait to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete