background

Monday, November 21, 2011

Glitter Shoes

Update: Ok , so she's used them for a little while now, and the glitter is starting to come off where the shoe bends naturally.  :(  I wonder if there is a better glue to use for this kind of project.  It sort of cracked and fell of.  It's not really noticeable yet, but she will only be able to wear them a couple more times.

Have you ever bought some of those glitter shoes for your little girl, and a week later half of the glitter has come off??  They are super cute, but some of them are made a little better than others.  We got some silver ones from The Children's Place, and boy were they cheap (poorly made, not inexpensive)!  Here is my little girl's shoe all ready to go in the trash:


I figured, I'm ready to throw these away anyway, I might as well try to save them first.  So, I busted out the glitter and the glue.


First I sanded the shoes a little, to get any of the loose glitter off.  Then I just took some tacky craft glue and spread it all over the shoe.


Then I put glitter all over the shoe.  I couldn't decide what color to use, so there is some pink, blue and green in there.  Shake off the excess glitter, then  let it dry for a few hours.


Next, I used modge podge and covered the glitter completely.  I also cut some fabric to cover the inside of the shoe because these actually have had a lot of use.  I let it dry over night and then covered it in modge podge again.  Then I put on an extra layer over the toes and other places where there was a lot of wear.


And here they are!  Fabulous, right??  I will have to let her wear them for a couple of weeks and update to let you know how well they hold up.  At least she will get a little more use out of them.  This will probably work on any canvas shoe too, if you want to glam up a tennis shoe or something.  In fact, I might just try that too!



1 comment: